Friday, March 21, 2014

Birthdays- Part I

I'm turning 35 years old, and it's a remarkable thing.  

It made me start thinking back to all the birthdays in the past, the ones I can remember in detail, the ones that are a little hazy, the ones I'd rather forget.   I compiled slightly over half of them here- through my 18th birthday- and intend to work on the rest in time for my actual birthday next week. 

When I was little, my mom made me cakes in the shapes of lambs, dolls, and bunnies.  Bunnies recurred throughout the years, as my birthday often fell around (or on) Easter Sunday.  She would decorate with colored frosting, coconut dyed in food coloring, and pink candle holders in the shapes of little bonnetted girls (made in a factory my great-grandfather worked in).  She coordinated the colors with whatever construction paper bunny ear hats she made for me and my friends, and there was inevitably singing, dancing around, and laughter.  

I can remember I cheated at "pin the tail on the donkey" (that competitive spirit in me being a bit overwhelming) at my fifth birthday party.  I was standing in the living room, on the brown carpet in front of the giant white fireplace, and my mom tied a blindfold over my eyes.  Only, I could see above it and below it.  Not much on the bottom, just enough to make out the shoes on my feet (little black patent leather Mary Janes over white socks) when I looked straight down.  That wouldn't have helped a tremendous amount.  But, I had a slim line of sight over the top of the blindfold, which got a bit bigger if I scrunched my nose.  It was enough that, even after being twirled three times in a circle, and toddling like a small, clumsy circus bear, I could navigate my way towards the rear end of the donkey, nailing that tail almost perfectly in place.  There was guilt after, and a prize, and the prize wiped away most of the guilt.

Turning ten was filled with the sheer, unadulterated ecstasy at hitting both double digits and the official ear piercing age my parents had agreed on.  The pen marking the spot where my earring would soon go tickled, and left a blue speck of ink behind.  
"Those look even," my mom nodded approvingly, as the woman loaded, and picked up, the earring "gun".  She sprayed a numbing, cooling spray onto my ear lobe, and waved her hand to fan it off before bringing the loaded fashion weapon towards my head. 
I looked out at the mall, all bright lights and people rushing by, clearly unfazed by the monumental moment occurring in their presence.  It hurt a little as the plastic target slid over my ear, squeezing the lobe, and then there was a short "whoosh POP", a feeling like a bee stinging my ear, and a small, 14 karat gold circle left in its wake.  

At 12, all the boys in my class surprised us at my sixth grade all-girls birthday party (accompanied by a few of their moms, who were in on the plan).  The one I had a crush on managed to break the storm window when he tried to rap on it with his flashlight, and we all ran screaming into the other room, giggling and laughing as the beginnings of adolescent crushes rained down on us.   

When I turned 15, I was a freshman in high school, and was given my first and only surprise party.  Ali, Heather, and I danced through the kitchen, singing "Au bal masqué" at the top of our lungs, twirling across the linoleum, and generally making asses out of ourselves (as 14 year olds do).  I remember wearing a pink striped top on loan from my best friend Ali, a bra that I hoped would someday support something, and stopping in my tracks when I saw a porch full of people waiting for me on the other side of the sliding glass doors.

Turning 16 was magnificent- that border between childhood birthday extravagance and adult expectations.   My parents transformed my three car garage into a perfect party space with white twinkle lights, a rented tent attached to the openings, and black paper with silver stars that we ordered from some prom supply catalogue (which, consequently, caused us to get said prom supplies catalogue for the next half decade).
Three of my best friends showed up in trench coats, sunglasses, and their hair in pigtails.  My dad accidentally tilted the cake box, and one side of the frosting got smushed.  The sun went down, and the lights we hung around the yard made it seem like magic was at work.
I wore a sparkly black dress, had my hair flipped up at the bottom, and couldn't stop grinning all night.
The DJ played "That's What Friends Are For", "Bed of Roses", and "Always", and I danced with every boy I had a crush on.  All except one, the one I ended up marrying, who I had just started talking to, and was told I couldn't invite because "it was rude to invite him only two weeks before the party."

At 17, we said goodbye to my family's Martha's Vineyard house, which I wrote at length about on my blog earlier this year (http://supergirlinsuburbia.blogspot.com/2014/01/a-proper-vineyard-goodbye.html).  From a party perspective, I had my first real boyfriend, and my birthday party was mashed with Easter Sunday, culminating in Jeff meeting not just my parents, grandparents, and immediate aunts and uncles, but my ENTIRE Italian family in one fell swoop.  There were wooden tables, and folding tables, matching end to end in a giant tablecloth covered "L".  They were decorated with flowers, small baskets of that plastic easter grass and chocolate eggs, and extended from the formal dining room through the family room and curved back past the sliding doors next to the television set (the unofficial "children's section").  We sat on metal chairs, rocking chairs, kitchen and dining room chairs, even an ottoman and a piano bench, chowing down pizza rustica, spinach pie, and ham, a loud, hungry, festive mass.

I turned 18, and had the most close friends I think I would ever have, going forward or back.  Realizing I was an adult, trying to make decisions about college and boys and soccer, and for one night, allowing myself to simply be happy and take it all in.  There are memories of matching vests, serenades by boys in boxers (for whatever reason, my friends hated real pants), taking photos in a falling pyramid, and group dancing on the fireplace hearth.  Near the end of the night, sitting in the quiet on the floor outside my bedroom door, on the maroon carpet with one of my best friends, I remember thinking "it can't get better than this", while the party went on merrily without us downstairs, and (for a rare, fleeting moment in the turmoil of adolescence) I felt I was right where I was belonged, happy and loved.


No comments:

Post a Comment