Wednesday, March 5, 2014

My Master's Admissions Essay

Since my students have to do these, I thought it only fair to share mine.  I just applied for readmission into a Master's Program in English (Writing Concentration).  Below is my answer to the question "What are your personal reasons for pursuing an advanced degree in literature or writing?"


As I write this, sitting in my maroon swivel chair, at the metal desk in my office at Ridgewood High School, I am overwhelmed by the books on my desk, struck by the authors before me: Rand, Kerouac, Steinbeck, Hurston, Thoreau, Emerson, Frost, Sartre, Blake.  Each one tells and shares a unique perspective, a different voice.  The subjects vary- living in the woods, education, exploring America with a dog, traveling across the country solo and with friends, dystopian societies- and yet the voices are all clear, all weaving stories or poems I engaged in, that changed my views (or enhanced them), and influenced me in some way.  From the time I was a child, reading well past bed time, writing notes in the margins, I’ve been under the spell of literature and writing.
I began my quest for my Master’s Degree in 2009.  I am reapplying now, five years after my first admission into William Paterson’s Master’s program, and three years after my last class, because I want to become a stronger writer, and indulge myself in my passion for creating, and for being inspired by literature.
As a 35 year old woman, I’ve become happily engaged in my daily routine.  I am the mother of two young daughters (who are the reasons for my three year hiatus from higher education), a teacher at Ridgewood High School, and the CEO of two acting studios in Los Angeles (the beauty of telecommuting). My passion for writing is my break from the needs of others, and my “quiet time” to reflect on my life, on the stories that stir in my head, and the poetry that dances through as I’m falling asleep, startling me awake and causing me to roll over to write in the journal I keep by the bed. 
I teach high school seniors, and I’ve begun to feel that twinge of jealousy at their journey into college.  As I spend time in class, patiently guiding them in their analysis of the great poets, philosophers, and prose writers, I find myself yearning to go more in depth myself.  With each writing assignment I hand my creative nonfiction writing students, I find myself jotting down my own ideas.  I am looking forward to reading and analyze classics and contemporary literature with high level professors, and peers.    I know this will aid my own writing, as I gain ideas for new means of expressing myself, and new thought processes for taking what is in my head and recording it on paper.
I want to complete my degree because I do not enjoy leaving things unfinished.   I began my graduate degree because I was interested in improving my ability to teach, and my knowledge of content and subject matter, as well as elevating my own writing.  I still believe in these interests, but have added one very important element: I want to get back in touch with myself.  In the throes of daily life, with the kids, the job, the husband, the students, the administrators, the core curriculum standards, and all the joys and stresses they involve, sometimes I lose track of me.  I know that pouring over literature, and allowing myself the time to write, will bring me back to the girl who loved sitting in the corner of her bed, reading by the hallway light, and dreaming of writing her own stories.  I want to give myself that freedom, and I want to give myself that chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment