Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Day 12- March 25, 2020

Day 12- March 25, 2020

Today we were stuck inside ALL DAY.  I'm grateful to be in my own house, with heat, electricity, and internet, and with my family.  But it's definitely difficult to keep two kids under ten occupied and happy (even with indoor soccer and couch arm jumping) and away from smacking each other every half hour or so.

Homework is becoming more routine.  The girls have settled into understanding what is expected of them, and they have their own ways of getting through the day.  R. follows the schedule more or less exactly.  She likes to keep to the recommended schedule, and is excited if she finishes something early.  E. on the other hand likes doing subjects she deems "easy" or "fun" earlier, and leaves the things she isn't crazy about until the end.  Today, that meant starting with cursive.  She didn't bring the book for handwriting home, so we have been printing pages off the internet.  I ordered her a cursive practice workbook from Amazon, but with all the backups, I'm not sure when it's actually going to arrive.  She commented how much she likes writing, and "corrected" some of her older letters (which is the writing type students are currently focused on- persuasive, recommendation, and friendly).   She was especially excited, because this meant she could mail a final draft of a friendly letter she had written to her cousin, S.

I was happy to work on the virtual zen den I'm creating for my school.  One of the guidance
counselors and I were discussing putting together a list of good resources, and I suggested that I just build a website.  Thus, the virtual zen den was born.  With exercises, meditations, ideas for creating, and even a page for students and staff to show gratitude (we started with a slideshow of art projects on the subject), it's coming together.  We also had to take a photo to send to our union, of us working in our workstations.  Considering I've work my uniform of fuzzy slippers, pink bathrobe, and pjs for the last two weeks, I decided to take a shower, blow-dry my hair, and put on real clothes.  Proud of myself for remembering how to do this- and for choosing a librarian-appropriate sweatshirt.

Mom and Bryan called from the car on their way home from my grandma's.  She's 93, has dementia, and has been getting food delivery for the better part of the last three years.  Her aide writes out a list, and my mom or her sister order whatever they need.  But now, with such high demand, there are no delivery days available.  They are getting creative, so Mom and Bryan did curbside pick up at a local poultry farm, and dropped off eggs and several pounds of chicken breasts.  They ordered fresh produce from Misfit Market which should be delivered later this week.  And we're all checking a variety of delivery websites as much as we can.  It's daunting, but at least it's something to focus on.  Otherwise, we get stuck in the loop of realizing how scary this virus is, and how especially terrifying it is for our parents and grandparents.  Here's hoping we find a cure and treatments soon, for everyone's sakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment