Thursday, March 26, 2020

Day 13- March 26, 2020

Day 13- March 26, 2020

WE HAVE TOMATOES!  This may not seem like a big deal, but it's been at least a week since I've had a fruit or vegetable that wasn't frozen.  I was cautiously checking my Amazon app throughout the day for a delivery from Whole Foods that I pulled off ordering the other day, and was over the moon when I heard the doorbell signaling drop off.  Yes, they were out of orange juice, so we have raspberry lemonade instead.  Yes, I only managed to order a handful of items because I was afraid I wouldn't otherwise be able to get the order in.  But TOMATOES.  Dinner was beans, spinach, and fresh tomatoes, with veggie pasta, and it was fantastic.

The day was also sunny and warm, which meant we spent most of it outside.  Yes, school had to be handled (and it was).  I worked on the zen den, helped E. navigate her first online math assessment (VERY proud of her- she earned a 100%!), and R. got to do more Cosmic Kids Yoga.  She also had an art project that involved creating a piece of art by using found natural objects.  Her creation was a mermaid ("I made it like Ariel coming up out of the ocean onto the big rock"), crafted from mud, grass, moss, leaves, sticks, and stones. She was very dirty when she finished, but also rather proud of herself.

E. and I spent a lot of time playing soccer.  She's getting rather good at shooting the ball hard, and nearly took my arm off at one point.  She also loves to practice punting, so I've set her up so she punts into the big goal we have in the yard.  This way, she isn't constantly running around chasing the balls she punts.  We played some one on one (she won, 10-8), and practiced a bunch of different drills.  She misses playing against kids her own age, though, and I know how much she wants to get back to competing.  We received a notification yesterday that the season is likely canceled, or if not, wouldn't start until May.  That's a long way away for an eight-year-old.

She's also nervous because her birthday is in three days, and it's dawning that not only will she not have a party for her birthday, she likely won't have one for quite some time.  I've offered a potential pool party at my mom's (I should really run that by my mom, but I'm pretty sure she'd okay it), but that doesn't completely ease the sting of not celebrating your 8th birthday ON your birthday.  My birthday is the day after hers, and it's not helping that either, but we're all dealing.

We saw our friends A. and her mama B. walking by while the girls were painting.  R. had found a Solar System model kit she had been given for her birthday, and was wrists deep in glow-in-the-dark and regular paint.  E. had asked for paint of her own, and I gave her an old watercolor set.  Both girls were willing to abandon artistic endeavors in favor of real in-person interaction, though, so our friends chatted with us from the sidewalk, and we stood behind our fence about thirty feet away.  It's the new normal, but any sort of conversation is welcome at this point, even a long-distance one.  Of course, having five people talking at once gets a little difficult, so A. borrowed her mom's phone, and she and R. pretended they were teens and conversed via the Facebook Kids' app.  Normally, B. and I would have the girls talk in person, but given that we've both been home for two weeks without other grown ups (husbands excluded) to talk to, we gave in so we could talk.

Today was Schooled day (I love having sitcoms I can watch with them), and then soccer training - the visuals edition.  We watched highlights from the 2015 World Cup Final, and E. chose Carli Lloyd's third goal (the one from midfield) as her favorite play.  Then it was off to practice her own long kicks outside.  I may have to put up a net behind the goal, because she's starting to hit the ball over it on a regular basis, and as I've mentioned before, there's a steep cliff off the back of our property.  We have neighbors on the flag lot behind us, and while their house is level with our property, around it is also that same drop off.  They told us when we moved in that during Hurricane Sandy, behind our houses was completely flooded, and the water went halfway up the 40 foot incline.  They had to evacuate in a canoe.  Getting the balls that fly over the fence back isn't that difficult, but it still involves scaling a rather steep hill, and losing precious play time, so netting it is. Just as soon as I can get some delivered.

No comments:

Post a Comment