Saturday, April 25, 2020

Day 44- April 25, 2020

Day 44- April 25, 2020

We met L., E's penpal today. It was a gorgeous sunny day, and warmer than is has been in a week, so much of it was spent outside. Both girls were painting (a leftover from an art assignment we didn't quite get to earlier), and trying to get the watercolors to work without dripping, when we heard peals of laughter from beyond our driveway.  I looked over the hedge, and saw our neighbors outside with the kids, so I asked Ella if she wanted to meet her penpal "in person".  She was very excited, and so we walked down the hill that separates our homes, and down to the overflow creek (which is currently dry but forms a perfect 20 foot social barrier).

She called out the little girls' name, and she and her dad and little brother A. came over to say hello.  The girls immediately started talking while her dad and I introduced ourselves, and her mom came out of the house to join us.  Ella told me later that she loved their accents (they are Australian) and the girls bonded over their mutual love of American Girl Dolls (we have two that are hand-me-downs from a former student of mine).  It was fantastic to have a real, in person conversation, and watching the little girl who seems as extraverted and energetic as my daughter made me sure they will be fast friends.  We were having a wonderful talk about the merits of American Girl Dolls when R. called down from our house, mildly hysterical.  It seems she didn't realize where we were, and couldn't find me.  I calmed her down as best I could (she's been overreacting sometimes, likely because of the isolation and change to her routines), and we were able to keep chatting for a bit before realizing we should probably head home for some lunch, and to create our "teacher appreciation" signs.

Next week is Teacher Appreciation Week, and never has that been more true than right now.  One hope I have is that this pandemic leads people to realize just how valuable teachers are, and why it is so important to have good ones.  Several times during my academic career, I've gone through contract negotiations, and been somewhat appalled at the scathing comments about teachers that have come from different communities.  I've seen people champion teachers as well, but the detractors always somehow seem louder.  Now, as parents are forced to teach their own children, and teachers are stepping up in innumerable ways to guide and lead, I see people speaking with greater regularity about how essential we are.
The girls wrote notes on the driveway to their teachers for a Teacher Appreciation video their school is putting together, largely because we didn't have the supplies to make normal signs (I don't have poster board just sitting around the house).  Their words were kind and to the point, and I'm hoping it helps their teachers to know just how much we truly value their contributions to the girls' lives.

As the day wore on, we came inside, had some dinner, and cleaned off a foosball table we got from a friend of ours.  The girls were very excited to play, spinning the little plastic men in their blue and red uniforms, and cheering as their shots headed towards the goals.  We played a few rounds with them before allowing them to take on each other.

Jeff played "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" on the piano, as the girls  girls are involved in a rousing game of foosball in the living room.  When I was little, I used to sing that song at the top of my lungs, sure that someone would hear me and I would the next little girl on the television. My older cousins encouraged my theatrics during group family vacations, and to this day tease me about my love of this song.  But it had a strong message and I loved watching Judy Garland sing it in The Wizard of Oz- she kind of looked like me, with brown hair in pigtails, and I could picture this magical wonderland where everything was bright colors and beauty.

Now, listening to the melody, I hum along and can't help but think of the other side of this pandemic- I'm hopeful for a bright, colorful world just over the rainbow.  Sure, we have to ride out this cyclone to get there, but our own backyards can provide comfort in the mean time, and we can have our adventures soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment