Sunday, June 7, 2020

Day 85- June 5, 2020

Day 85- June 5, 2020

School-Wide Sing Along
Today was the school-wide sing along.  There were a few songs that will now be stuck in my head for the next week or so, so thanks to their music teacher for that.  The girls were excited to see their Music Teacher, Mr. Polanin, who was smart to use YouTube Live as the platform for this event.  Zoom won't allow more than 100 people, and Google Hangouts has crashed a few times, so it was a pleasant surprise to not have to worry about any of that.

I also got to see two of my favorite students today, sisters that I had a few years apart.  We're borrowing a mattress topper from them for staging Sammy's house, and it was so wonderful to see these girls all grown up.  I know it's a cliche, but it literally feels like yesterday that I was teaching them, and realizing it's been over half a decade since the older one was in my class is crazy.  I remember stories she told about giving her younger sister a haircut (and how her mom then took her to the salon, and simply said "cut it shorter than she cut her sister's"), and how alike I thought they looked when I first met them both (the younger sister had her English class across the hall from ours, so I got to see both of them together a lot).  I'm hopeful my kids grow up as close as these two are- their mom did a damn good job with them!

After chatting for a while and catching up, we jumped in the car to sprint to our old town for a drive by birthday party for the little sister of one of E's soccer teammates. This is the second time in two weeks that we've had a soccer-related drive by party (and the third in three weeks).  They're becoming all the rage, and the girls were so happy to see their friends.  Last year, we actually ran into them in Disney World- we were all on line to meet Mickey and Minnie, but separated by a partition wall.  As we reached the front, and could peek around the corner, there was this little girl, and E. said "Mommy!  I think she's on my soccer team!"  Sure enough, when I looked around the edge, I recognized her parents immediately.  We have fantastic photos of all our girls, gleefully hugging Goofy, Minnie, and each other.

Since the governor has dropped restrictions a bit, and because we arrived a little after the big parade of people, I was able to park, and the girls got out and talked to their friends (and even ran around a bit), all while staying appropriately socially-distanced.  I got to have fun mom conversations with the other mamas too.  Two them that I've become friends with live on this same cul de sac, so we were all able to chat about soccer and quarantine, our kids' boundless energy, and how much we can't wait to be able to get back to some form of normal. We all miss the kids being able to play, but we also miss the camaraderie of being parents on the sidelines.  One of my favorite parts of coaching has been the friendships I've developed with the other moms.  I know my parents were close with the other parents when I was playing for this club, and I'm excited to be able to go on vacations with this crew that center around soccer. 

Speaking of which- I was officially approved to be the JV Girls' Soccer Coach in my town.  I spent some time on the phone with the Head Coach today, going over the plans for summer, and getting caught up to speed on what the initial preseason looks like.  We don't have a lot of directives yet for what the season will look like, so they are delaying officially approving the coaching staff through the BOE for the time being.  I'm excited to be coaching at two levels this fall- with my little ones, and with the high schoolers.  And I have a couple of kids who are ready to embrace being ball girls for the games.

No comments:

Post a Comment