Thursday, June 18, 2020

Day 98- June 18, 2020

Day 98- June 18, 2020

The new ice cream maker!
Summer Day 1-  Let the freedom commence!  I headed over to my friend's home with the girls for a swimming playdate with her daughter L.  Her other daughter, A, was napping in the house ), and so it made more sense to head over there than to have her be at the mercy of an almost-three-year-old's sleep schedule.

It felt almost normal to be sitting on her porch, chatting about the kids and teachers and expectations and summer, while the girls splashed and raced around their new above-ground pool.  She told me how her older son has been working on his swimming (he competitively swims races when there's not a pandemic going on), and has been doing conditioning in the pool.  That's a big part of why they got such a large one- so he can practice his strokes and stay in condition for when races start up again.

I'm so grateful to just see my friend and talk to her without a screen being between us.  As people begin heading out to restaurants (outdoor dining started up a few days ago), there's a sense of cautious optimism that I'm hoping isn't misplaced.  The NWSL, our national soccer league for women, will start playing games on June 27th, and MLB is inching closer to a deal to start games at the end of July.  Soccer starts up again next Tuesday, and then tryouts are next Sunday.

There are some surges starting to show around the country, though, and I'm praying that they are

isolated, and that the self-isolation has had enough of an impact that we can safely begin going about our business with the restrictions we have in place (wearing masks, staying socially distanced, avoiding cramped indoor spaces).

Perfect for night swimming (which is also
the name of an excellent REM song)
I got some great news from the free stuff gratitude Facebook group too.  Someone posted an ice cream maker, a brand new, still in packaging ice cream maker.  This is something E. had ordered with her birthday money, only to see it backordered over and over by Amazon. I wrote that as my reason, and the person who was gifting it chose my name randomly, so we got to pick it up!  Tomorrow, we make soy milk ice cream.

As day wore into evening, we met Jeff at my mom's, and put up the sign saying the house is for sale.  It goes live on the market in the morning.  I took a photo of the pool in the dark, with the pool light on and the twinkle lights on the fence illuminated.  I've spent many warm summer evenings in this pool with friends and family, and it's surreal to know that this is the last season there.

No comments:

Post a Comment