Sunday, May 10, 2020

Day 59, May 10, 2020 (Happy Mother's Day!)

Day 59, May 10, 2020

I woke this morning, rather groggily, and felt around for my phone so I could check the time.  My eyesight hasn't been good since 1988, and without my contacts, I need to hold anything I'm trying to decipher pretty close to my face, so I did and made out the numbers "5:37".  Several expletives rang through my head as I heard the distinct haroomphing of my elephant-like daughter.  I should point out, she's a thin little thing, a waif of a girl who somehow manages to make a small herd of rhinos sound delicate with the way she walks around the house when she wakes up early.

I stumbled out of bed (literally- I'd left my purse on the floor and didn't see it- again, I can't see much of anything and I was squinting hard), felt for the doorframe, and managed to whisper yell "it is NOT EVEN six am.  I love you, but go back to sleep."

"Sorry Mommy- Happy Mother's Day!"

I kissed the top of her head.  "Thank-you sweetie.  Now go back to sleep.  Do not get out of bed until 8."

An hour later, I could hear the other one, and this time, I had to make my way down the stairs, and was (not for the first time) really glad I have a keen sense of direction and spacial relations in my house, because otherwise I would have definitely ended up with serious bruising from bumping into things like railings, overflowing laundry baskets, and end tables.  "Go back to slee---"

"Mommy!  You can't come in here- we're decorating for your Mother's Day surprise!" chastised E., while R. bumrushed me and started pushing me up the stairs (a similar maneuver to what I've used on her when she wakes up too early on Christmas).   "I didn't see anything- I don't have my contacts in" I called back down as I acquiesced, figuring that at this point, I was losing the battle to get them more sleep, and I was only willing to fight so much.  I resigned myself to the fact that that the best chance for ME to get extra zzz's was to let them continue with whatever they were doing. 

I managed to stay in bed until about 9, when I was woken up by someone small giggling next to my bed, and placing a piece of thick paper on my head.  "What the-"

"Happy Mother's Day Mommy!  That's flat Mommy- she's ---"

I missed most of the rest of this because I think I rolled over and snorted, probably sounding something akin to a warthog.  I was NOT going to be able to get much more sleep.  R. was still talking, and I gently waved my arm "okay, okay- R., let Mommy get up and I'll come downstairs."

I managed to get into the bathroom, wash my face, and put in my lenses, and then returned to find a piece of splatter painted art, complete with a little photo of myself cut out into, well, a Flat-Stanley-esque "Mini Mommy".  When I walked downstairs, the girls yelled "Happy Mother's Day!" and began showering me with hugs, a homemade card and even a crown, which E. taped securely to my hair.  They had decorated the mantle with signs (and on the far wall hung cut out letters that spelled "Mommy").  R. had made me a Happy Mother's Day card, and included a gift certificate to E' Diner (what E. had named the new diner in her bedroom that we are now frequenting.  The portions are small, but they are also plastic, so it works.

Mini Mommy and her cupcake
Jeff made me hot cereal, and I got to eat while the girls bustled around dancing and singing their new jingle for "E-'s diner, nothing could be finer!"  We called my mom to figure out a good time to head over, and the girls set to making cards for their Great Grandma.  My grandmother is 94 and has severe dementia, so while I know she will not realize who the cards come from, seeing them will make her smile.  My mom was heading over there later, so we would leave them with her to deliver (we don't want to take the girls to see her from a distance because we're worried it will be too upsetting.  They have a hard enough time under "normal" circumstances, because GG sometimes acts out and never knows them.  They don't understand dementia and it's too confusing and difficult for them to understand).
The decision was made to head to "E's Diner" upstairs, where we feasted on cupcakes and coffee (mini-Mommy had her own cupcake), and the service was excellent.  We then drove to my mom's, and spent a few hours sitting in the yard with Mom and Bryan while the girls ran all over the yard.  The beauty of back yards is that it feels almost normal to hang out in them.  We sat on slate slabs that felt warm from the sun, Bryan reclined in a pool chair, and Mom relaxed on the steps.  If it wasn't for knowing the reason for the strategic positions of each of us, you wouldn't realize we were social distancing.

Same with the time we spent with my in-laws.  I won the lottery with these two, who have been there watching me grow and supporting me since I was sixteen.  They sat around the bistro table while Jeff and I relaxed in chairs a little ways away.  The kids put on a show of soccer prowess and typical energy exertion.

I'm so grateful I was able to see my families today.  It's hard, because I know there are people who don't, either because of the quarantine, or other circumstances.  My mom has been my biggest champion for my entire life, and I can't imagine not being able to talk to her (almost) every day, or see her whenever I want to.  She raised me to be strong, independent, and loving, and I'm grateful for her influence daily.  When my kids say I'm the best Mommy in the world, I remind them that it's because I was RAISED by the best Mommy in the world.  As I snuggled up with my kids in the evening, watching Goldbergs because we had saved it to be our family watch this weekend, I couldn't help but think how important it is to take these moments to just be with my kids.  Whatever specific memories they have, that feeling of being loved unconditionally is the most important thing I can give to them.
The park (aka, my mom's yard)

No comments:

Post a Comment