Monday, May 11, 2020

Day 60- May 11, 2020

Day 60- May 11, 2020

I'm starting to only realize how long we've been in lock down by the number of days at the beginning of this blog.  It's jarring sometimes, like today, when you hit another number in the ten's place.

The first thing I did today was check my bank account, and sure enough, the unemployment money was in there.  I emailed my accountant, because amount was wrong according to what I'd been told (we seem to be getting the minimum, which means either they are doing something different for independent contractors than they do for regular unemployment, or it will self-correct when our 2019 taxes are taken into consideration).  That said- we have money to pay the bills, and I'm grateful for that.

Today was a first for me- I headed up a meeting of two counties' worth of librarians to discuss what we are doing in our jobs right now.  I had volunteered to put this together via Zoom when our final librarian meeting of the year got canceled, and someone asked about having an elementary school Zoom meeting.  I offered to set one up for the high school librarians, and after gathering names and sending invites, we all hopped onto our cameras at noon.  It was interesting to hear how many of us are struggling with the same things (what to do with books that are out?  How do we get them back?  What should we order for fall- regular books or eBooks?), and how supportive everyone is of each other and their staffs.  I'm so proud to be a librarian, because it means I can have a positive impact on my whole school.  Listening to my contemporaries, I see that we all feel that way, and our main goal collectively is to support our colleagues and our students.

While I was on the call, E. and R. were participating in a school-wide phys ed class via Zoom (in
their pajamas because today was PJ day- every day is PJ day in our house, but this was a school-sanctioned PJ day).  The phys ed challenges involved flipping toilet paper under and over their legs with spatulas (and trying to catch them), jumping jacks that I think may have caused cracks in the ceiling, and trying to catch glimpses of their friends on the screen.  They had a blast.

I also spent copious amounts of time working on an end-of-the-year soccer video for E's U-8 team.  I set it to Fight Song, and after harassing the parents on the team for the last few days to try to extract photos and video, I was able to work everything together, and make it work with the music.  It was a labor of love, and the reward was watching E's eyes light up when she saw it.  R. was also happy, because I had strategically inserted a photo with her in it with E., so she could be a part of the movie.

While I was attempting to line up a specific crescendo with a video of E's teammate running down the sideline, I managed to burn the vegan sausage I was making, and cause a billowy cloud of grey smoke to encompass my kitchen.  Thus, I ended up airing out the room, and then making focaccia bread in the breadmaker, knowing that the garlic smell would overtake most anything.

We then drove dinner over to Jeff, who has been hard at work painting.  When we headed home, I let the girls choose directions, something my mom and her best friend Rochelle used to do with me, my sister Nicole, and our friend Rebekkah when we were in elementary school.  They would ask us if we wanted to go Drove dinner over, did "give me directions" game like Rochelle and mom used to play with us.  I'm not sure if they were bored or what, but we loved our "adventures", which somehow always ended up at Burger King for fries (as we were very young, we referred to it as "booger king" and called them "fart fries".  We were hilarious).  The girls took to the game quickly, and we maneuvered through some unfamiliar (for them) streets, ending up over by my mom's, where we had an impromptu driveway visit.

It was a long day, but a good one, and any day where we get to see Nana and Popum makes the girls happy.  They got to bed a little later, but it was worth the delay for the extra smiles  (on them and their grandparents).

No comments:

Post a Comment