Thursday, May 21, 2020

Day 70- May 21, 2020

Day 70- May 21, 2020

The highlight of the day was a cast4good.com zoom call that we got to watch with the cast of Sabrina The Teenage Witch (yes, the show that ran from 1996-2003). My younger self was positively giddy, and the girls were enthralled to see the cast chatting away (though they were mildly disappointed that Salem the cat wasn't involved).  One of the best things about watching the actors' interaction was the clear love and respect all the people involved held for each other.

It's gratifying to see that people you looked up to when you were younger (actors, musicians, artists, athletes) seem to be genuinely kind, wonderful people in real life.  R. and E. have had a really rough time the last few years, what with moving back and forth when I lost my job and then gained a better one, switching schools, and now with the pandemic being stuck away from their friends.  I started watching Sabrina with them shortly after we moved in with my mom three years ago, and it was a consistent source of joy for them (and for me, who remembers the shows from my youth).  As a mom, all you want is for your kids to be happy, and the show gave them that.

When the pandemic started, we got CBS All-Access, largely because it meant we could watch all the Sabrina episodes again (side note: I worked at the public library for two years, and was in charge of ordering DVDs for children.  They have the entire series, thanks to me, along with other 90's staples like Boy Meets World, Full House, and Family Matters- I went all in on T.G.I.F.).  It's like comfort food- familiar, relaxing, and something that can be shared. The girls were thrilled to not only see their crush Harvey and favorite aunts Hilda and Zelda, but also to see that the actress who plays Libby is a nice person ("Mommy, she looks the same, but she's so sweet!" was E.'s awed compliment).  It's hard to find family-friendly television shows these days (networks tend to cancel them rather quickly, like Schooled which just got the ax- I'm just grateful we get another season of The Goldbergs), and throwbacks like this one fill that void.

Today was also chock full of zoom meetings, birthday parades, and the usual school stuff.  One of E's soccer teammates, A., turned eight, so we jumped in the car and cruised by her house towards a line full of her friends and family.  We stopped briefly (and unofficially) to say hi, as A. stood beaming on her front lawn, jumping up and down and waving with all her might.  Her mom had strung streamers with flags on them all over ("Do you like them?  It looks like a used car lot!" she called out as we joked about missing soccer and getting the girls together).  We joined the line, saying hi to friends who were in their place already, like teammate E. who was sticking out of the sunroof of her dad's white SUV with her little sister.   When the parade started, we honked and waved, and blasted Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off", which is what you do when you can't have a real party because of a virus.

Getting home, E. quickly changed into full soccer mode (which meant shoes with laces instead of velcro- she kept her dress and leggings on), and she and I went to the yard to hop on the Zoom practice call.  I'm wearing a mask outside because my allergies have been awful since Monday, but I'm her coach, so I need to be involved.  E. practiced passing, first using the fence until we realized E. might break it, then the shed until it was clear that one could break an ankle from the chipmunk holes around it.  Finally, I jumped in and had her just one and two-touch to me and back, as that was the most consistent, least likely-to-injure self or property option.  It's good to see her teammates working out, even if it is over zoom, and E. and I worked a bit on her shooting and dribbling in the yard as well.  She likes to have me videotape her practicing her moves, so she can see what she does well and what she needs to work on.  She also kept asking me to post the videos on Facebook so our family and friends can see what she's up to.

We ended the evening with R. presenting a report on Cheetahs to us.  She was very proud of her work, and I'm happy to see she's inherited my willingness to jump up in front of people and speak.  She's clear, loud, and authoritative, which will take her far in life (I learned a long time ago that even if inside, you're nervous or unsure , if you sound like you know what you're talking about and exude confidence, people will believe in you). Since she wants to either be an actress or an astrobiologist, I think these qualities will serve her well.

No comments:

Post a Comment