Sunday, May 17, 2020

Day 66- May 17, 2020

Day 66- May 17, 2020

I woke up ready to go, and snuck over to the house to paint.  I got in a solid hour of painting trim before heading home to make second breakfast (I'm turning into a Hobbit).  The carpet is inspiring me and Jeff- we can see the transformation the house is going through, and we're both eager to see what it turns out like for our friend Sammy.

Jeff headed to the house to finalize some touch ups, and the girls and I swung over to my mom's so they could play (more socially-distanced backyard babysitting).  I spent a solid few hours getting another coat of paint on trim and finishing off the downstairs family room (it used to be wood panels, and they now look crisp, white and fresh thanks to Benjamin Moore.

When I got back to Mom's, I gave the girls a ten minute warning, and headed over to the far edge of the property.  We are friends with the neighbors, whose son was in R.'s class when we lived with my mom for a couple of years.  Yesterday, the mom, Veronica, texted me because her friend is thinking about moving and Veronica mentioned that my mom was going to sell her place this summer.  I texted her what we were thinking of putting it on for, and we got to talk in person today.  I miss our over-the-fence chats- when they fenced in their yard for their new pool last year, they put in a gate so the girls and her son could go back and forth whenever they wanted to.  It was a joy to have such great next-door neighbors, and I miss them.

We talked about soccer and how the sport has changed for children over the yers.  We discussed how it used to be more about position is and passing, working as a team from early childhood.  However, over the last several years, the push has been more on the individual, and developing skills instead of teamwork.  We both miss the days when it was about passing and strategy, and I certainly feel like there's too much stress on personal development instead of team development.  Maybe it's because of the way I was coached, but I was brought up believing team first, individual second, and that it was my job to make the people around me better, so that we could win as a unit.

I heard from the head coach at the school I interviewed with last month.  It's at the school I coached at for several years before I had R. and E. (well, I kept coaching through both pregnancies, but when E. was turning one and R. was 2, it became too much, so I took a few years off).  The coach had texted a couple of days later that he wanted to offer me the position, but they were waiting on the AD to meet with the principal, since there was an internal candidate.  I checked in a week later, because I hadn't gotten anything official, and he apologized for the deal, but said that the meeting should take place that week.  That was back on May 6th, but today, he texted me that they should be able to confirm hiring me this week, which is fantastic.  I loved coaching at the high school level, and he already said E. would be welcome to come visit practices (she is VERY excited about that and being a ball girl for my games).

I love that I am still involved in soccer, both through coaching E.'s team, and through this new
My soccer team (and a boys' team from Mexico) hanging out
 at an international tournament in Colorado circa 1993
adventure (though I'm not counting my chickens until I have a contract- especially in these turbulent times).  There's something about being a part of a team- as a coach, and as a player- that bonds you.  The same could be said about "teams" of people coming together to bring a play to life on stage, create a company, or compose a song.  But the connections forged through literal sweat and playing sports- those are some of the strongest I've ever felt.  Maybe it's the collective experience, and the length of time we were together.  There's something to be said for being a teammate for over a decade.  There aren't that many people you can say you had a relationship with for that amount of time, and on a team, you have to find ways to make it work. You learn to read each other, know what your teammate is thinking or going to do (sometimes even before she does).  Your team and their success depend on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment