Friday, May 15, 2020

Day 64- May15, 2020

Day 64- May15, 2020

Today was HOT.  And if I never have to paint another ceiling or cut another door, I'm okay with that.  I've determined there are things I'd be willing to pay someone else to do, and these are them.

I spend much of the morning working on statistics for school- how much people are using our eBooks and audiobooks, and which online research resources are most frequented.  It's also the beginning of 2020-21 ordering, which meant I ordered the children's school supplies for the fall, and also started the task of ordering for my library.  Next year's goal is to organize the fiction with genre labels.  Down the line, I may decide that I want to divide up our fiction into more of a "bookstore" model (where fiction is still organized by last name, but is first split up by genre, like Historical Fiction or Sci Fi or Fantasy).

In the afternoon (after school), I headed over to help continue with painting.  The house is coming along great, but the carpet is being installed tomorrow in several rooms, and so I had to paint a ceiling.  I am NOT cut out to paint ceilings.  It was just drywall, so I got to work with an extender and ceiling paint, and discovered gravity.  I know, Newton discovered it years ago, but I put his theories into practice when I watched the paint on the roller, which was above my head, drop and splay down and out, landing on the floor, my face, my arms, my arms, and my hair.  Had it not been about 85 degrees out (and hotter in the un-airconditioned room I was working in), this probably would have been less annoying, but heat makes everything more uncomfortable.  It's for a good cause though, I know we're helping a friend, and I'm excited to see how carpeting completes the makeover look, but right now, I'm just flushed, sore, and covered in white speckles. I'm reminded of the Sylvia Plath poem Mirror, and the lines "Most of the time I meditate on the opposite wall/It is pink, with speckles". I too am pink, with speckles.

After returning home to a MUCH needed shower and dinner, the girls and I watched Sabrina the Teenage Witch (the original Melissa Joan Hart version), and rejoiced in the simplicity of a witch navigating high school.  I remember watching this show when I was a teen (and admittedly, through college), and loving every minute of it.  I was a hard-core fan of Sabrina and Harvey, and my kids have seen every episode at this point.

We discovered it a couple of years ago on Antenna TV (I hear their jingle in my head when I type that), and happened to catch it at the beginning of the series.  I set the DVR, and we literally watched season after season, in order.  It had been a solid fifteen years since I'd watched it, and while I remembered (spoiler alert from 1998) that Sabrina and Harvey end up together, I was happy with how many of the jokes held up, and how many I still find myself giggling over with the girls.  They are the perfect age for the show, and rediscovering it during quarantine has brightened our days.

Today's episode saw Sabrina moving to Paris with her dad- and when she checks in on her friends and family (and boyfriend Harvey), they all somehow seem to be doing well.  Of course, it's only for the brief moment when she's checking in that this is true- and it's just a trick of what she sees them.  But it leads to a Britney Spears dance along for Sabrina in her apartment, and she ends up heading back to her home when she realizes how much she misses it (and the people who live there).  The girls ended up squealing as Harvey hugged Sabrina and I was reminded how my kids are romantics just like me.  We just want the happily ever after, and I'm glad to report, this is one formula that the show nails. When it doubt, we can count on Harvey and Sabrina (and if we're lucky, maybe they'll do a spinoff someday).  We can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment