Monday, May 18, 2020

Day 67- May 18, 2020

Day 67- May 18, 2020

I woke this morning to the sound of a ladder against the wall by my bedroom window.  Crap- it's the gutter cleaners.

I had spoken to the company that cleans our gutters a couple of weeks ago, when they called to set up a spring appointment.  At the time, I told the woman to check in with me in late May, because nothing was in the gutters since all the pollen, leaves, flowers, etc. were still on the trees.  Apparently, she took that to mean she should put in an appointment for mid-May. 

After grabbing my glasses from their hiding place under my bed (next to my phone charger and computer), I rushed downstairs, and stepped onto the front porch.  In the next three minutes, I spoke to the men who were planning to do the cleaning, explained there was nothing to be cleaned yet, and to please have the company call me to set something up for June.  They were gracious and helpful, and I waved as they pulled away just as the sanitation department pulled into their place to pick up our recycling.

With that out of the way, I walked inside, and realized the pollening is real.  My left eye was bright red, and my nose had begun dripping.  I shut the door, popped a Benadryl, and hopped into the shower to de-pollen myself.  I hate spring allergies with a passion, and normally, would use this opportunity to head down to the beach for a weekend or even just an afternoon of relief.  Alas, with Jeff finishing up the house for our friend, we can't really go anywhere at the moment.

Instead, I'm hunkering down inside with the air purifiers running on high (which is a shame, because it is gorgeous, clear, and warm out, and I'd love to be hanging in the sunshine with the kids).  Jeff and I completed the series finale of Cheers today.  I have officially watched all eleven seasons, all 273 episodes, and it brought back all the warm nostalgia of the early 90's.  As a middle schooler, my parents got me a small television for my room, and it sat on a cedar chest next to my bed, a white marvel with rabbit ear antennae.  I used to watch the Channel 11 News At 10 with Kaity Tong and Marvin Scott, and then stay awake to watch Cheers reruns at 11.  Thinking back, I really should have been getting to be earlier, because I was definitely tired in my first classes at school.  But Cheers was comfort- I knew the characters, followed their stories, and would wait impatiently for the new episodes (while loving the old).  Yes, a lot of the jokes went over my head- I was a very unsophisticated middle schooler- but there were enough laughs to keep me going, and the characters made me smile.

Visiting the site of Cheers in Boston
When I was looking at colleges, my parents took me to several in the Boston area, and I was more
excited to visit Bull & Finch Pub (the exterior of Cheers) than I was to see Harvard or Wellesley.  Perhaps my priorities were a little out of whack, but I was so happy to see that golden sign, and walk down the steps that led to a little basement tavern.  Yes, it looked totally different inside, but there were photos of the cast and bits of history preserved inside, which made up for it a bit.  Last summer, Jeff and I drove up to Boston with the girls to surprise one of my best friends at her 40th birthday party (which also was a surprise party).  We needed something to do until the party, so we wandered around Boston Common, and then headed down towards the water.  As we crossed the street, I looked up and started bouncing- we had had happened upon the Bull and Finch Pub.  The girls hammed it up with me for a photo (even though that had no idea why Mommy was so happy about this sign), and I was reminded of the little bar where everybody knows your name.

Rewatching the show now, I'm impressed by how many jokes hold up, and of course, how many more of them I understand.  It's also remarkable to see how I view the characters in a different light now that I'm over 40.  They are still lovable, but there's also a twinge of sadness here and there at the state of their lives.  That said- there's also something to be said for people who maintain decades-long friendships, have companions they can count on and know where to find when they need them.  I also appreciate that they gave their characters a proper send off. 

When I was 14, and the series ended, I remember being upset that Sam didn't end up with Rebecca or Diane.  Now, watching the characters evolve, I realize it wouldn't have made sense for him to be with either.  Rebecca, maybe- their friendship and chemistry could have worked.  But the Sam and Diane dynamic- now that I've been in a loving relationship for almost a quarter of a century, it's definitely clear that while they care about each other, they wouldn't ever work in creating long-term happiness for each other.   That's reserved for someone that you can honestly say you want to spend your life with, even during a quarantine lock down, who makes you laugh daily, and watches over 270 episodes of your favorite television show with you, just to see you smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment