Thursday, May 28, 2020

Day 77- May 28, 2020

Day 77- May 28, 2020

Yesterday, I had answered an inquiry in a Facebook group for local parents about books.  A woman was looking to buy some for her daughters, and I offered to give her a bunch that we had cleaned out from E's closet.  When she arrived, we spent some time chatting through the door about the books, and she asked if she could pay me.  I, of course, said  "don't worry about it!" and then jokingly added "But if you know anyone looking to move, my husband is a real estate agent!"

Her eyes went wide, and she said she and her family were actually in the market to buy.  I gave her
Giving away free books
Jeff's card along with a Fancy Nancy book, and she and I sent some Facebook messages back and forth (and Jeff sent her a few listings).  Regardless of whether she ends up using him, it was nice to feel an instant connection to another mom (she and I were talking about our love of old houses), and I'm really happy I was able to help her with the books.

This morning, I got a message from her about a website for free items in our town.  Basically, someone posts what they have that they want to give away, and people can respond if they are interested.  It's a fantastic way to keep things out of landfills, and when you need to stage a house cheaply, it's a great resource.  I also feel good about it, because when we're done with the staging, I can either give the stuff to someone else, or use it for my family!

I also got to talk to Maggie, a colleague of mine, on the phone.  She and I often chat in the library on her way to teach ESL, or when she needs something for her students.  We've collaborated on a grant that we found out we will be receiving, and she and I spent some quality time today going over the logistics of it, and what we want to do with the money.  We're excited to put in a front entrance over by the faculty and student parking lot.  Right now, there's a sidewalk, but most teachers take the shortcut across what used to be grass and now (depending on the time of year/weather) is either a mud puddle, icy slipping hazard, or dusty dirt. We want to plant native plants, install a cute bench, maybe an arbor, and solar lighting. We also trailed off and spent a bit of time talking real estate (I've always loved this topic, and we were discussing families, so Jeff's current status getting Sammy's house ready for sale was part of it).  She's considering getting her Real Estate license so she can practice over the summer, and part time during the school year (our school gets out at 2:19, so there's plenty of time to show houses after that!).

My phone rang a little after our conversation, and it was one of my oldest and best friends, Heather.  We've driven across the country together (she drove with me when I moved to Los Angeles at 25), and she was calling because she was "going to Bj's for my every few weeks shop, and it's the only 'me' time I get."  She has two kids, a five year old daughter and an almost-three-year-old son, so right now, with she and her husband working from home, this was literally the only quiet time to herself she can get.  It was just nice to hear her voice, and feel (for a moment) normal.  I need more of that in my life right now- we all do.  With the orders coming day by day now, and restrictions seeming to lesson, there's hope that we will be with our friends and family in person soon.  I can't wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment